Thursday, October 28, 2010

Nicole Miller Partners with Africa on Bangles


You all know by now that what I believe to be fair trade is the act of African artists, craftsmen and artisans selling what they produce to the western world at a profit that allows them to lead a life they never would have done. The fashionista in me gets even more giddy when it is a gorgeous, style item. And the African in me gets tearfully-proud when it is something only we can do. Don't judge, it is such a patriotic feeling. And I will always do whatever I can to support these efforts.
Now, today, New York fashion designer Nicole Miller has partnered with the nonprofit Indego Africa to release a line of patterned traditional-textile and woven bracelets and bangles co-designed with and hand-crafted by Rwandan artisans at co-ops on the continent.
At the launch in NYC this evening, 15 percent of the proceeds will be donated to bolster Indego Africa's business, literacy, and computer training programs.